This service is free for LGBT people of Muslim background, residing in Australia and starts on 1 July 2018.
Imam Muhsin Hendricks
Muhsin Hendricks is an Islamic Scholar with a background in Classical Arabic and Islamic Sciences obtained at the University of Islamic Studies (Jamia-Dirasat Al-Islamiyyah), Karachi Pakistan (1990-1994). He is an Imam (religious leader) by profession and also a human rights activist focusing on sexual orientation and gender identity within Islam. He has done independent research on Islam and sexual diversity, an area that does not often get explored in the Muslim world. He has also designed and facilitated many workshops / trainings on Islam, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Muhsin Hendricks is the first openly queer Imam in the world. He is also the founder and director of The Al-Fitrah foundation (founded in 2004), the world’s largest formal organization that supports Muslims marginalized based on sexual orientation and gender. It is the only organization that has a strong focus on movement building, mainstreaming and public training.
Muhsin Hendricks also holds a Diploma in Counselling and Communication obtained through the South African College of Applied Psychology.
His recent publications include:
- The Gender Based Lie
- Policy Brief: Islam, Sexual Diversity and access to Health
- On becoming YOU: A workbook for queer Muslims
- ISOGI – A workbook on Islam, Sexual Orientation & Gender Identity
- ‘Fitrah’ – A documentary that explores how queer Muslims negotiate the dilemma between faith, sexual orientation & gender identity.
Terms and Conditions
- This service is only available upon booking.
- Only lgbt+ people of Muslim background residing in Australia are eligible for this free service.
- Counselling sessions are conducted over skype.
- Participants are to ensure they have a stable internet connection and privacy for the counselling sessions.
- Participants will complete an evaluation interview after completion of the sessions.
- Imam Muhsin will contact the participant directly to arrange the session date and time.